Not being able to focus and too much information!
Well I can certainly relate and have felt the same way (and still do sometimes) before. Not having the proper focus and consuming too much information is a recipe for disaster in your business!
It took me a loooong time to get to the point where I was earning a consistent amount of money online each month. I was jumping from one idea to the next. With so much information online you can easily get sidetracked if you are not focused on what you are doing.
Why Are We Not Focused?
I learned that the reason I was not focused and why I absorbed sooo much information was because 1.) I wasn’t enjoying what I was doing and 2.) I wasn’t seeing any real results.
It’s important to care about and enjoy what you are doing because it will give you the motivation you need to stick with it. Plus you have to see results from what you are doing online. If not, there is really no incentive to keep going…afterall we are in business, right?!?
Here are some things that I found contribute to being unfocused:
- You are uncertain, unsure, lacking confidence
- You don’t really have purpose or direction in your business
- You don’t enjoy what you’re doing or not happy with the results
This is when you will most likely start moving from one idea to the next, from one blog to the next, from one WSO (Warrior Special Offer) to the next, etc. and that takes you straight to consuming too much information.
Consuming too much information feeds into becoming even more unfocused especially if you are reading on many different topics. If you are consuming information that will take you to the next level in your business then that’s okay.
But if you are reading about building affiliate blogs, ghostwriting, PLR, email marketing, product creation all at the same time then you will really put your head in a spin!
If you are feeling frustrated with your lack of focus then it’s time to get to the root of it all. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you enjoy what you’re doing? If not, change it!
- Are you earning money? If yes, then see how to scale it up. If not, then why not?
- Are you connecting with people? Other people can help you reach your goals just like you can help others reach their goals.
- Do you have a strong enough “Why”? What’s your reason for doing what you do?
I know that when I first learned about making money online I jumped alllll over the place learning many different things. While that might be good to do in the beginning you definitely don’t want to continue to do that.
Know what skills you have and where your interests are and find the spot where they intersect. That’s your sweet spot. And when you find that then you will become more focused and consume way less *distracting* information. When everything lines up with your sweet spot you will create momentum in your business and momentum is the result of focus! Great things happen when you are running off of momentum. 🙂
What I Did (Do) To Help Myself
Here are a few things that have helped me to stay focused:
- Have a plan (goals). If you don’t have a plan you will aimlessly spin in circles. I have many goals in my business, but one important goal is my monthly monetary goal. Once I have a target then I can do what I need to do to get it accomplished and each month I set it higher. This helps me to become very focused. I can meaure my results with this goal. Am I doing what I need to do to meet that goal? If not, then I better get to work! The point is that if you don’t know what to aim for then you’ll hit anything or nothing at all. What actions will take you closer to your goals? Plan it…do it.
- Outsource. I found that I get unfocused when I start feeling overwhelmed. What can someone else do for you? Do you need content? Buy PLR or hire a ghostwriter or grab Easy Article Starters. I just started working with a VA and I’m sure she is going to help me out a lot. But the point is… you can find someone to help you with anything…and this will help you become more focused.
- Use tools like Pomodoro Technique or Action Enforcer. Set a timer and get to work! When you are doing tasks in your business the only way to get it done is to block out some time and do it without doing anything else.
- Stop checking email 50 times a day. Stop reading so many blogs. I only read what I need to at that moment.
- Know what time of day you are most productive. For me it’s the mornings. I tend to fizzle out over the day. I found that it’s a waste of time to try to work when I’m really tired. You can really get soooo much done in just 2 hours if you put your mind to it.
So what say you? How do you deal with being unfocused and consuming too much information? Let me know below!