Ever since learning about Internet Marketing back in 2008, I always knew that I wanted to create my own products. What I didn’t expect is how long it would take me to actually get started! Sheesh! I’m like 80 years old now in Internet years LOL!
Since 2008, I’ve watched so many ‘newbies’ enter the scene and become very successful creating their own products! Ugh, “what is wrong with me?” I would ask myself. Have you ever felt like that?
I know I’m not alone. I know others who have wanted to start creating their own products too but for some reason get stuck right there. There are many reasons why this happens, but for me it came down to two main problems.
- First, I was AFRAID that my product would not be able to deliver, would not be great, would not be anything new, and would completely fail!
- And second, I could never figure out WHAT to create.
When You Start Thinking Irrationally It’s Time For a Reality Check!
Do you ever start to do something and then all of a sudden the what if”s start circulating in your mind? What if…nobody likes my product? What if…I only get 2 sales? What if…I spend all this time on it and it completely flops. What if…it’s just not good enough?
Running a Business on What If’s is Not Going to Work Unless Maybe You Flip It!
When that happens, it’s time to switch it up on yourself. How come we don’t usually say what if…my product is a total success? What if…I sell thousands? What if…this product lands me five powerful connections?
My brain seems to be hard-wired to think about the bad first! The best thing to do is to just forget all of it and get to work!
So once I realized I was being silly I had to get to the root of the other issue…WHAT do I create?
Figuring Out What to Create Will Very Much Depend Upon What You’re Doing Right Now…
I eventually learned to start right where I was. So if you find yourself in this situation then ask yourself what are you doing successfully right now that you can turn into a product?
Of course it will vary from one person to another and from one market to another. But for me, I know that my market is online entrepreneurs. So I chose to create something that would help this market.
It was a slow start but my very first product was a free report on niche/keyword research. I was learning how to pick the right keywords and successfully rank on the first page of Google so I knew that I could help someone else do it too. I got a ton of great feedback.
After that I created a report on how to sell your services because I was making good money in my service based business. I got some great feedback on that too.
Even more recently I created a webinar on outsourcing and that really took me out of my comfort zone. I thought I totally bombed this webinar, but I still got some great feedback!
Do You Notice A Trend Here?
Even though I doubted myself and was nervous about doing it – I did it anyway. I shared my knowledge and ignored my silly and irrational thoughts. In the end my product wasn’t as bad as I thought and I even helped a few people along the way.
How To Get Over Your Product Creation Scare
The best way to get over being afraid of creating products is to just do it. Here are a few ways to easily create a product:
- Get really good at doing one thing in your niche market. Just pick one thing. For example, within online business there are maaaany things to do. Just pick one thing like email marketing, affiliate marketing, generating traffic, conversion tracking or whatever and become an expert. Then you will be able to create many different products just within that one area because you are an expert and you know that thing like the back of your hand.
- Test different things and let others know your results. People love to see real results.
- Use Private Label Rights (PLR) content to help you get your product out there faster. There are so many high quality PLR sellers out there. It’s easy to find great content just look here, here, here, here, and here. PLR can really help you put your own product together faster. I would pick a topic that you are very familiar with and get some related PLR and create a video, audio, or even a webinar with it.
- Use Audacity to record yourself talking about a solution to a particular problem. After you are done with it go to oDesk and get the audio transcribed (for $10-15). You now have instant product (that was easily created I might add).
- Get out of your comfort zone and go interview an expert in your market. Take that interview (or you could even do more than one interview) put it together and sell it (another instant product).
The bottom line is this…first times are scary. But the more you do something the easier it gets. If you are committed to having integrity and excellence in business then you have nothing to fear. If you know your topic well then you’ll have the confidence you need to ‘put yourself out there’ and before you know it the fear will disappear.
So what do you think? Are you afraid of creating products online? Why or why not? Let me know your thoughts below!