I learned the hard way and struggled for a couple of years because I was doing everything backwards!
When I first came online I was looking for ways to just make money online. THAT was a HUGE mistake in my thinking. Instead of just wanting to make money online I should have been thinking how can I build an amazing business that is fulfilling and rewarding and that helps a lot of people.
That way of thinking – just wanting to make money online – led me down the path of getting caught up in a variety of quick money making opportunities. Instead of strategically growing my business I was jumping on every opportunity to “make money”. The problem? I wasn’t building a sustainable business. I wasn’t growing my audience. I wasn’t really covering anything that was truly important and that would make a difference in someone else’s life.
That just flat out sucks! (unless of course you want to just chase dollar bills – that’s on you)
This realization came after being exposed to some amazing passionate entrepreneurs. People who are building on a foundation, truly helping others, and are not afraid to put themselves out there.
Don’t Do This: Here are some things I’ve learned NOT to do:
– don’t just say – im going to make money online – because you are setting yourself up for failure
– don’t learn marketing first – decide what you will sell and who you will sell it too first
– don’t be something your not just because ‘everyone else is doing it’ stay true to you
– don’t pick a market just because there is money to be made in it (of course you DO want to go into a market that you can make money in – it just shouldn’t be your focus)
– don’t ignore what you’re truly passionate about
– don’t forget to build your business
– don’t be an opportunity seeker
– don’t think that there is a magic piece of software that is going to make you rich overnight
– don’t ignore the power of list building and joint ventures
– don’t ignore building a brand